Chris, sorry for not responding more quickly... was traveling back from
ApacheCon NA.

Honestly, it would be non-trivial to drop in a replacement to Hibernate.
The JpaPersistService (http://goo.gl/FeI6xU) handles the configuration
coming from persistence.xml and has nothing Hibernate specific. The problem
is the CroquetPersistService, DataSourceHibernateModule, and
EntityManagerProxyFactory classes.

What JPA provider would you rather use? I've never used anything but
Hibernate, and never had issues with it... just curious why you'd like to
use something else.

Also, patches/pull requests are always happily accepted :-)

Thanks for checking it out...

Bill-