I have Wicket 7.0.0-M2 running on embedded Jetty, which is correctly returning a content type of UTF-8 for my Wicket page:

   Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:37:52 GMT
   Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
   Pragma: no-cache
   Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store
   Transfer-Encoding: chunked
   Server: Jetty(9.1.0.v20131115)

I have a properties file FooterPanel.properties that contains the following line (encoded in ISO-8859-1, as properties files unfortunately require):

   copyright=© 2014 Example, Inc.

FooterPanel.html is encoded in UTF-8, has the appropriate XML prolog, and contains the following reference to the property resource:

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
   Example</wicket:message></small></p>

When this all is rendered, here is what I see in Firefox 31 and Chrome 37:

   � 2014 Example, Inc.

I thought I had all the correct encoding indicators at each stage in the pipeline. But somebody blinked. Where is the problem?

Garret