Hi,

If you would like to start an external process (a batch or whatever, but
*not* command line of course) then the answer is yes, even it is more an
architectural question than truly related to Wicket directly (I mean, if
you would like to properly separate layers...)

A common option is to make Wicket (the web layer) start the process through
an synchronous/asynchronous EJB (the business layer).

About the security concern, by default the process owner of the Application
Server will also own the external running process. This should eventually
be taken into consideration...

Additionally you can get info back to the Wicket page using native
websockets (notifications or a progress for instance).

You have a sample implementation here:
https://github.com/sebfz1/wicket-quickstart-cdi-async

It currently uses Apache DeltaSpike for managing portability & contexts
(CDI 1.1)

Hope this provides an answer to your question... and you will select Wicket
in your new technical stack :)

Best regards,
Sebastien.