Thanks again for your help.
I got the disabling behaviour bound to all kinds of links and buttons.
I solved the issue about cross-browser link disabling by adding a temporary
copy of the <a> tag with JavaScript and hide the original link. This his seems
to be the best solution for me.
I would like to share my code snippets with others who face the same problems
if you‘re interested.

Best regards,
Claudia Hirt