I would simply lock other drag and drop upload components, while upload is in
progress.

You can also have a look at my experiments with custom drag and drop upload
fields here https://github.com/andruhon/WicketDragAndDropFileAjaxUpload
I have similar implementation in my app and it does allow you to drop files
into multiple drag and drop area, however, files are uploaded sequentially, one
by one.