Yes I've also noticed some Panels overflowing their boxes.

If we have any CSS expert on board, help would be much welcome.

Richard, feel free to create JIRA issues if you have bugs to report.
http://jira.xwiki.org

We already have some  related issues:
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XAPANELS-24
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-584