Hi,
 i think the problem is, that space preferences is in
${space}.WebPreferences page and not in WebHome. Your script just find, if
the user have rights to WebHome page not for entire space.
 WebPreferences has object global
rights and i think there you have to do some sql query to find out, if
user have rights or not.

Jan