From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Vincent Massol
Sent: 19 December 2007 12:44
To: XWiki Users
Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Documentation?

On Dec 19, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Víctor A. Rodríguez wrote:

> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> I'm curious to know. Do others have this issue finding documentation
>> too?
>>
> My main problem is that some links have been moved and need to be
> located the first time I try to reach them, e.g.

yes but I would say that's normal.

> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationMySQL,
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide/Features (and all the
> UseGuide related links).

> IMHO, the real problem is that now the wiki is more product oriented,
> instead of features oriented.

Well that's not fully true. You can't compare with before since before we were
only documenting one product and now we're documenting the platform and all the
products...

> I remember the previous one were the first you found were all the
> features that XWiki has. This is what you want to look at when you
> arrive to a site in search for a product, a quick view of features to
> stay with the product or to move on to the next one.
>
> Again, IMHO, not a good move. :-(

You mean the new xwiki.org is not a good move?

Past users of xwiki.org should go to the http://enterprise.xwiki.org since the
previous version was only documenting that. Then you should be able to find all
you had before.

Back to your feature-oriented documentation idea. Do you have any example of
web site in mind that do this? (I mean websites with more than one product). Or
any idea how to implement this?

OTOH all the sites I know that have more than one product do it the way we do
it on xwiki.org:
- http://apache.org, http://jakarta.apache.org
- http://hibernate.org
- http://jboss.org
- etc

We could show all the platform features on the main page since all products
share these but I don't think that would be a good idea since we would then not
be able to present the different products (not enough space).

I guess what I'm trying to understand right now is why is it difficult to pick
the product for which to read documentation about. Would you have any insight
into this?