I am not sure if the following suggestion will help but it helps me
solve a websphere portal related skin/theme problem recently.
If there is any background tag or background-image defined after the
background-image in your skin, the later background tag will overwrite
your background-image tag defined previously. So you can try to use
background instead of background-image to check or rearrange the
sequence of your css file so your skin's tag is the last to fire on.

-Chengmin