I'm getting two kinds of exceptions
- one to do with log4j, which can't get permissions to write. Perhaps I
should try creating the xwiki.log file manually - where should it be?
- one to do with some missing classes. am I short of a jar or two?

Mar 13, 2008 10:15:19 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive xwiki.war
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: xwiki.log (Permission denied)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
    at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:289)
    at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java
:165)
    at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:163)
   [...]
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.SimpleLog4JLogSystem.init(
SimpleLog4JLogSystem.java:74)
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.LogChuteSystem.init(
LogChuteSystem.java:52)
   [..]
    at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.init(Velocity.java:83)
    at
com.xpn.xwiki.web.InitializationServletContextListener.initializeVelocity
(InitializationServletContextListener.java:88)
    at
com.xpn.xwiki.web.InitializationServletContextListener.contextInitialized(
InitializationServletContextListener.java:44)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(
StandardContext.java:3830)
    [...]
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:566)
    [..]
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server - not enough
permissions.
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1822)
    [...]
    at java.awt.image.ColorModel.loadLibraries(ColorModel.java:188)
    at java.awt.image.ColorModel.<clinit>(ColorModel.java:196)
    at com.jhlabs.image.WholeImageFilter.<init>(WholeImageFilter.java)
    at com.jhlabs.image.WaterFilter.<init>(WaterFilter.java)
    at
com.octo.captcha.engine.image.gimpy.DefaultGimpyEngine.buildInitialFactories
(DefaultGimpyEngine.java:503)
    at com.octo.captcha.engine.image.ListImageCaptchaEngine.<init>(
ListImageCaptchaEngine.java:493)
    at com.octo.captcha.engine.image.gimpy.DefaultGimpyEngine.<init>(
DefaultGimpyEngine.java:494)
    at com.octo.captcha.service.image.DefaultManageableImageCaptchaService
.<init>(DefaultManageableImageCaptchaService.java:32)
    [..]
    at com.octo.captcha.module.config.CaptchaModuleConfig.validate(
CaptchaModuleConfig.java:193)
    at com.octo.captcha.module.struts.CaptchaServicePlugin.init(
CaptchaServicePlugin.java:64)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModulePlugIns(
ActionServlet.java:869)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:336)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:212)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(
StandardWrapper.java:1161)
   [..]

Mar 13, 2008 10:15:53 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Mar 13, 2008 10:15:54 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: Port busy 8009 java.net.BindException: Address already in use
Mar 13, 2008 10:15:54 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: Port busy 8010 java.net.BindException: Address already in use
Mar 13, 2008 10:15:54 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: Port busy 8011 java.net.BindException: Address already in use
Mar 13, 2008 10:15:54 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: Port busy 8012 java.net.BindException: Address already in use
Mar 13, 2008 10:15:54 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8013
Mar 13, 2008 10:15:54 AM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=4 time=0/23  config=null
Mar 13, 2008 10:15:54 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 58878 ms
Mar 13, 2008 3:06:09 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext reload
INFO: Reloading this Context has started
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: xwiki.log (Permission denied)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
   [..]
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.SimpleLog4JLogSystem.init(
SimpleLog4JLogSystem.java:74)
    [..]
    at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.init(Velocity.java:83)
    at
com.xpn.xwiki.web.InitializationServletContextListener.initializeVelocity(
InitializationServletContextListener.java:88)
    at
com.xpn.xwiki.web.InitializationServletContextListener.contextInitialized(
InitializationServletContextListener.java:44)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(
StandardContext.java:3830)
   [...]
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(
CoyoteAdapter.java:263)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java
:844)
    at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(
Http11Protocol.java:584)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java
:447)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    at com.jhlabs.image.WholeImageFilter.<init>(WholeImageFilter.java)
    at com.jhlabs.image.WaterFilter.<init>(WaterFilter.java)
    at
com.octo.captcha.engine.image.gimpy.DefaultGimpyEngine.buildInitialFactories
(DefaultGimpyEngine.java:503)
    at com.octo.captcha.engine.image.ListImageCaptchaEngine.<init>(
ListImageCaptchaEngine.java:493)
    at com.octo.captcha.engine.image.gimpy.DefaultGimpyEngine.<init>(
DefaultGimpyEngine.java:494)
    at com.octo.captcha.service.image.DefaultManageableImageCaptchaService
.<init>(DefaultManageableImageCaptchaService.java:32)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(
NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(
DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)