Hi there,

Right now the new WYSIWYG editor allows us to create simple lists like
the following:

----------8<----------
* plants
* animals
** invertebrates
** vertebrates
---------->8----------

By pressing just Enter when the caret is inside a list item we create a
new list item. This is the basic mechanism. It's simple and it should
remain so.

If I want to make the previous list a bit more complex:

----------8<----------
* (((= Plants =

Plants are living organisms belonging to the kingdom Plantae.)))
* (((= Animals =

Animals are a major group of mostly multicellular, eukaryotic organisms
of the kingdom Animalia or Metazoa.

They are divided into:)))
** (((== Invertebrates ==

An invertebrate is an animal lacking a vertebral column.)))
** (((== Vertebrates ==

Vertebrates are members of the subphylum Vertebrata, chordates with
backbones or spinal columns.)))
---------->8----------

I have to be able to insert new lines inside a list item using the Enter
key but without creating a new list item. Let's consider the following
state:

----------8<----------
* (((= Plants =)))
---------->8----------

We have a level 1 heading inside a list item. The caret is inside the
heading, at the end. Pressing Enter can have the following three outcomes:

1. Continue editing in the heading, but on a new line:

----------8<----------
* (((= Title 1
x =)))
---------->8----------

2. Continue editing in the same list item but after the heading, in a
paragraph:

----------8<----------
* (((= Title 1 =

x)))
---------->8----------

3. Create a new list item:

----------8<----------
* (((= Title 1 =)))
* x
---------->8----------

For the first outcome I think we all agree that the user has to press
Shift+Enter. For the second and third outcomes I see two options:

A) Enter for 2 and CTRL/META+Enter for 3
B) Enter for 3 and CTRL/META+Enter for 2
(if you see any other options please step up)

I'm +1 for A) for the following reason: if the user has inserted a
heading in a list item then he will surely want to add more content
after that heading, thus pressing just Enter is the natural way of doing
this. From a technical POV the caret is first inside a heading and then
inside a list item so the heading should have the priority of handling
the Enter key.

NOTE: Choosing A) or B) doesn't affect the way simple lists are created,
which is using just Enter.

Please cast your votes and sorry for the long mail,
Marius