On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> For the first outcome I think we all agree that the user has to press
> Shift+Enter. For the second and third outcomes I see two options:
>
> A) Enter for 2 and CTRL/META+Enter for 3
> B) Enter for 3 and CTRL/META+Enter for 2
> (if you see any other options please step up)

Sounds like wikimacs (wiki+emacs) :-)

What about using a multiple-repeated enters. Kind of like a keyboard
equivalent of a double, triple click, with some visual way of suggesting
what level "upwards" in the DOM the return will create the next element (e.g
a "box insertion caret" like for drag-drop operations):

* a single enter in a list adds a paragraph or <br> within the current
element. It does not create a new list or table entry.

* double-enter, creates a new <li> <tr> etc (depending on if you're in a
table, list etc) within the current table/list.

outside of the current list/table etc. (if in a nested table/list, it'll
correctly add the next element)

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: I got to deal with all these fun issues back in ~1995 when i designed
WWWeasel (reviewed at an early WWW conf
here<http://nielsmayer.com/L27933-1529TMP.pdf>
)
http://nielsmayer.com/wwweasel/node26.html<http://nielsmayer.com/wwweasel/node26.html#SECTION00051000000000000000>
http://nielsmayer.com/wwweasel/node27.html
It is very helpful for the user to be able to see what's going on
"structurally" at the same time as you're editing in WYSIWYG.... If you can
graphically depict where in the DOM structure the "return" is pointing, at
what level of scope, then it's a lot less confusing to the user.