I use following settings for JVM (e.g. options for tomcat)
    JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms256m -Xmx512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m"

I found Xar handy for moving data from one (test) instance to another
(production),
though for full backup I use MySQL dump.

Backup: mysqldump -u root -ppassword --opt xwiki > xwiki.sql
Restore: mysql -u root -ppassword -Dxwiki < xwiki.sql

Valdis