The usual way to upgrade a xwiki instance is to keep the data in place
and to import the new xar inside the wiki, see
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation#HUpgradingwikidocuments
If you really wish to export your data as XAR then you must import it
first, then import the default xwiki xar.

JV.