Ok, I think I got down to the root of the issue with document parent not get
updated.

To achieve this I first gave up trying to find the reason and decided to
create another page with different name and re-mapped all the dependencies
from broken page to newly created one.

Then I did back-up of my XWiki preparing to delete the broken page (btw
that's when warnings about not being able to find the 3 images appeared in
logs and that's when those 3 images disappeared again).
Then I re-uploaded the 3 images again (to re-establish possible links in
DB), then deleted all of the image from the page and from "recycle bin".
And finally deleted the broken page from space and from "recycle bin".

But checking the orphaned pages it turned out that the page with the same
name (but different content is still there). I've tried to change it's
parent and it worked.
So I guess the reason for such a strange behaviour was that I somehow had 2
pages with the same name in the space. At least it's logical to think so.

Any-ways I've got the fix now.

2 Marius: Regarding image names, they did not contain '#' character BUT they
did contain the '_' (underscore) character which is being removed during
image upload as I have noticed.

One more thing that I have noticed with images is that currently back-links
are tracked only by direct link to page. So if the reference is to the
attachment in external document, then renaming this external document will
lead to broken link. I did not find such ticket in Jira off-hand; if it's
not still there it would be a nice enhancement.

Thank you all!

Regards,
  Roman