Ok I actually managed to sort this out....

First up I played around with the style.css file and used the @include
statement to include the css for the red background just to try out.

I then created a new css style sheet called bg-mod.css under
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0/webapps/xwiki/skins/toucan/css/colors in my
FreeBSD jail which has this content:

body#body,
#allviewpanels .accordionTabContentBox{background-image: url(
../../images/colors/gray/H4x4-GRAY.png); }

body#body #xwikimaincontainer,
body.hideright #xwikimaincontainer,
body#body.hideright  #xwikimaincontainerinner,
body.importbody #xwikimaincontainerinner,
body.exportbody #xwikimaincontainerinner,
body.adminbody #xwikimaincontainerinner,
body.hidelefthideright #xwikimaincontainerinner,
body#body.hidelefthideright  #xwikimaincontainerinner
{  background-image :url( ../../images/colors/bg/gpl.png) ; }

#xwikimaincontainerinner,
body#body.editbody #xwikimaincontainerinner,
body#body.eportbody #xwikimaincontainer,
body#body.importbody #xwikimaincontainer,
body#body.adminbody #xwikimaincontainer,
body#body.hidelefthideright #xwikimaincontainer,
body#body.hideleft #xwikimaincontainer,
body#body.editbody #xwikimaincontainer
  {  background-image :url( ../../images/colors/bg/gpl_right.png) ;}

body#body.editbody #globallinks,
#globallinks,
#rightPanels,
#editPanels.panels{  background-image: url(
../../images/colors/bg/gpl.png);}

#company { background-image: url( ../../images/colors/bg/gpl.png); }

I then created the subdir under images/colors called bg and uploaded
some files into it.

My style.css file now looks like so:

@import "microformats.css";
@import "toucan.css";
@import "css/colors/bg-mod.css";

After that was done and tested I edited the toucan.css file generating
this code:

#companylogo {
     padding: 0;
     ###background-color: #FFF;
     ###background-color: #666;
     background-color: #transparent;
     margin-right: 220px;
     ###margin-right: 0px;
     height: 80px;
     ###background-image: url($xwiki.getSkinFile("sunv210mod.png"));

}

What seems to not have been working is the
url($xwiki.getSkinFile("sunv210mod.png") line I got from here:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Skins#HD.OverridingtheSkincomponents

I mean either it does work or I just don't know how to use it but never
the less what I wanted to achieve is done to an extent :-)

Thanks for all the help and regards,

Kaya