On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:39, Asiri Rathnayake
<asiri.rathnay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Paul Harris <harris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I installed the "Admin Tools" plugin
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/AdminTools
>>
>> And found that half the stuff didn't work anyway.
>>
>> Regardless, carrying on, I am hoping the User Rights tool will be helpful,
>> however it can't seem to check the most important user:
>> the Unregistered User
>>
>> And what is worse, I discovered by accident that the Unregistered User can
>> access the space!
>> For example, an unregistered user can access the /xwiki/Admin/RunQuery
>> page,
>> which could be used to run queries directly on the database, for example
>> select * from xwikipreferences
>>
>> Does this give anyone else a heart attack too??
>>

> I don't think this "extension" is part of the standard XE/XEM release. You
> should be careful when installing extensions.

Yes this extension is a contribution and is not written or supported
by the XWiki Core team.

>> WHY is there no default "cannot view unless admin says so" mode?
>> This is a problem with all of my spaces.  When I create a space, I want to
>> then have to go and ALLOW people to access it.  Not open by default, that
>> is
>> much harder to configure.
>>

> It's a wiki, and wikis are supposed to be open by default. If the the
> default behaviour is "closed", it would be hard for a normal user to create
> a space and allow other users to contribute content (he'll have to wait for
> the admin to open that space).
>
> This is only my personal understanding and I'm not a professional XWiki
> user, so let's wait for some other views as well.

Yes it's exactly that, wiki that only an admin can contribute to is
not a wiki... maybe a CMS.

Also making default XE distribution private is very easy you just have
to setup global rights and you are done for the whole wiki.

> Thanks.
>
> - Asiri
>

>> Can someone please look at rights management, it seems to be insecure by
>> default, and makes me scared.
>>
>> thanks.
>> Paul

Thomas Mortagne