On 30 June 2011 16:53, Andreas Hahn <ah...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 30.06.2011 10:33, schrieb Paul Harris:
> >
> > I'm a bit confused by this... I don't see how you could call this
> particular
> > option "fine grained"
> >
> > I still want unregistered users to be able to see the front page, and
> maybe
> > a page or two more - describing who we are and how to join up.
> >
> > If I tick those options, surely they would not be able to see any Welcome
> > page that I wanted them to see?
> >

> Well, I can't speak for releases newer than 2.6 - but for that it was
> really simple.
> Maybe you haven't found the 'uregistered users' settings on the users
> rights form ?
>
> have a look at http://shept.org - it's xwiki powered does pretty much
> what you describe.
> I don't remember any particular problems with the rights setup ....
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Your site is perfect for illustrating my concerns about the "open by
default" configuration of xwiki.

I was able to register an account (I used my real email, but it could've
been a fake one), and was able to make a comment on your page here:
http://shept.org/docs/Shept/Features

Did you really intend to leave that page open for comments?  I would guess
not, since you turned off comments on your WebHome page.

I find it very scary how easy it is to leave doors and windows open.

I can shut the doors I find open, but I have no way of confirming that I
have closed all the doors, especially the back doors that I do not know
about (eg whatever is in the XWiki space)

cheers
Paul