On 1 July 2011 15:28, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Paul Harris wrote:

>>> The pages are not saved on the file system but in the database. So if you
>>> haven't modified your DB when you upgraded you still have the same data
>>> there.
>>>
>>> You could just delete the XWiki.Import page IMO.
>>>

>> Shouldn't this have been handled by the Migration thing?
>
> Ideally yes but that's not implemented at the moment.
>
> We're introducing the notion of extension manager to manager extensions and
> as part of it there'll be a notion of an application (ie a set of pages) and
> when an app is installed or upgraded it'll have the ability to run some
> script.

I am struggling with a similar design issue in one of my projects.  I
am currently thinking along the lines that:
* If there are a set of pages, keep them bundled together - don't
unwrap them.  The moment you unwrap them, and someone modifies a page,
then you can't upgrade the package without stomping on the changes.

* Allow pages to be extracted if the user really wants to hack.

* Don't store configuration within pages that are part of an upgrade.
Instead, separate structure and data, and put the data in a
configuration file (or a configuration page that is NOT EVER
overwritten during an upgrade).    Then, if there is an upgrade, add a
mechanism to upgrade the configuration file IF REQUIRED.

>> How can I find other pages are lingering?
>
> You could compare the two XARs using either
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XAR+Diff+Application or
> the Admin Tools which reuse this XAR Diff app code
> (http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/AdminTools).

urgh

> Note that at some point we wanted to list this in the Release Notes but we've
> not been doing it diligently. I'd like us to do that better in the future.
>
>> And, more importantly, next time I upgrade xwiki, what is the correct
>> procedure to ensure that:
>>
>> 1) I do not have to reconfigure all my appearance configuration
>
> You should not import XWikiPreferences, WebPreferences, etc. These are all
> indicated in the upgrade instructions.
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation#HUpgradinganXWikiInstallation

No, it says you should "be careful".

>From my POV, that means - take a screenshot and then re-add all your
configuration later on.
Because, I'm sitting here thinking ... what if something in
XWikiPreferences has changed significantly (eg the layout looks
different from 2.6), and if I don't overwrite then something won't
work.

>> 2) I do not have to reconfigure my rights
>
> Same
>
>> 3) I do not leave crufty old pages around
>
> See above. Note that pages that are left won't impact the execution of your
> wiki. If they do they'd be mentioned in the release notes.
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I do not understand how everyone else upgrades their xwiki... its
>> taken me 2 days and I'm still discovering things that shouldn't be
>> there (like this Import page)
>
> Upgrading is still not an easy process. We're tacking this with the Extension
> Manager, see
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ExtensionManager

The gallery2 website had a great upgrade system, with checks and
verifications and migrations that you could actually see the progress
of.

With xwiki, I am terrified of upgrading the system again... there is
no verification, no audit, no visible migration... I have no idea what
I'm missing and what pages are there that should not be.

For example, I turned on migrate=1 and exitAfterEnd=1, and started
jetty up, and ... the service never seemed to end.   The site stayed
up and active.  Does that mean the flag doesn't work?   Or doesn't
migrate work?