On 04/19/2012 01:51 PM, mohit gupta wrote:
Now as per http://logback.qos.ch/manual/joran.html , i tried to use file
Appender to log the message to file* but no help*. Here is added code
snippet in logback.xml

  <appender name="FILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender">
     <file>myApp.log</file>

You should use an absolute file path, since this filename could end up anywhere, depending on how Tomcat was started and what it considers the "current directory". Make sure the location you provide is writable by the owner of the tomcat process.

     <layout class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppendert">

^ typo here, ConsoleAppender[t]

       <Pattern>%date %level [%thread] %logger{10} [%file:%line]
%msg%n</Pattern>
     </layout>
   </appender>

  <root level="debug">
     <appender-ref ref="FILE" />
  </root>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: mohit gupta<motgu...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Subject: Redirecting logs to a file instead of console on tomcat?
To: XWiki Users<users@xwiki.org>

I have gone thru
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Logging. As per
logback.xml(inside in MyApp/WEB_INF/classes), looks like it relies on the
fact that container will redirect all the console to logfile automaticcaly.
But it is not happening. I am using tomcat 6.  i want to put all the
possible logs i.e  log.info.log.warn,log.error,log.debug,log.fatal inside
log file

For logging i am using below code snippet
private static final Log log =
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(AuthServiceImpl.class);//
declared as insiance variable under AuthServiceImpl.class

You shouldn't use commons-logging, but slf4j:

private static final Logger LOGGER = LoggerFactory.getLogger(AuthServiceImpl.class);

I don't understand what you mean by "declared as instance variable". If it's "static final", then it's not an instance variable, but a static constant member.

then in my public method i am doing the logging as

log.error("Testing AuthServiceImpl  Reply = ");

But its printing the  logs on tomcat console. Guys really i have no idea
how to print the  to file instead of console.Inside logback.xml(inside in
MyApp/WEB_INF/classes)
i can see below  setting. I have really no idea what is happening?

Thanks in advance.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/