On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:10 AM, shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> upgrading from 3.5 on tomcat6 with mysql and LDAP auth against AD
> OS is Ubuntu 10.0.4
> only "customisation" was in hibernate.cfg.xml for database and
> xwiki.cfg for LDAP and lucene path
>
> backed up database
>
> downloaded and unzipped new war file
>
> stopped tomcat
>
> moved webapps/xwiki to a backup location
>
> put the new xwiki in webapps/xwiki
>
> edited hibernate.cfg.xml: xwiki.cfg and xwiki.properties to match previous
>
> removed  the LDAP config apart from
> xwiki.authentication.authclass=com.xpn.xwiki.user.impl.LDAP.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl
> xwiki.authentication.ldap=1
>
> started up tomcat
>
> logged in as local admin
>
> imported new admin.xar
>
> imported all of it, (well I'd upgraded this install quite a few times
> and wanted a "clean sheet")
>
> changed admin user password
>
> changed rights to prevent unregistered users
>
> imported the new ldap.xar
>
> go to setup LDAP
>
> get error "LDAP service is not available. Please verify your installation."
>
> logout as local admin
>
> login as superadmin and get same errror
>
> documentation here
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP+Application
> links to here
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Authentication#HLDAPAuthentication
> which doesn't have anything specific
>
> google searches for the error don't have anything remotely useful
>
> all pages are in place and database looks good, but the lack of LDAP
> auth is a bit of a pain
>
> any suggestions, or should I go back to 3.5 and upgrade to 4.1.1
> without the LDAP .xar ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Arne

Managed to get LDAP login working by commenting out all of the LDAP
configuration from xwiki.cfg apart from

xwiki.authentication.authclass=com.xpn.xwiki.user.impl.LDAP.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl

This could be a lot clearer in the instructions here
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP+Application

The error message "LDAP service is not available. Please verify your
installation." still appears on the LDAP but users are able to
authenticate

Cheers

Arne