Hi,

You do not need to enable additional logging if you are using our default
configuration. If currently you do not get an info logging saying "Running
storage schema updates and migrations" at some point, and your database is
declared "Database XXX needs migration(s), it could not be safely used!",
it simply means that you have not enable migration. Migration are disabled
by default, and, in our distributions, we active them initially by having
the following line uncommented in xwiki.cfg:

xwiki.store.migration=1

Reading the xwiki.cfg you have pasted, I do not see that one, so you have
to add it back. Apart from that, you just need that the store and migration
components are properly setup, which is the default, and the subject of my

Regarding schema changes, you are right, all changes concern the size of
IDs in many tables (the changes depends on the source DB), to afford a
64bits number for all documents and objects IDs. If you compare the
hibernate mapping, this is what you will see. But, on an existing database,
you need a migration procedure that will alter the existing ID columns to
change their type. To do so, most DB engines will also require that no
contraints are exists on these columns, so we potentially need to remove
them first and recreate them later. And the last but not the least, we also
migrate all IDs to use the new size and scheme, which will ensure better
unique identification, our goal in this operation.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM, rheim651 <rob.h...@mckesson.com> wrote:

> Denis,
>
> I have reviewed my xwiki.cfg file and revised it according to what you
> requested ( http://pastebin.com/ACFyDT87 Xwiki Cfg )
>
> Unfortunately, I still get the same error.
>
> Is there a way to enable additional logging to try and determine where it
> is
> failiing on the migration?  If I need to manually adjust some things on the
> database side I'm fine with that.
>
> As it stands, right now I'm also attempting to reverse-engineer the
> database
> schema changes between 3.5 and 4.1.3.  Initially it looks like it's
> converting Primary Keys on 20 tables to use NUMERIC(19,0) instead of INT.
> Are there any other schema changes besides that I should also be aware of?
>

> Denis Gervalle-2 wrote
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have written most of the migration manager stuffs and the major
> > migration
> > of 4.x, and from what I see, your configuration currently prevent any
> > migrations to be executed. You should carefully investigate your
> xwiki.cfg
> > file for migration configuration.
> > From what you copy paste, I see twice the
> > "xwiki.store.migration.databases"
> > parameters, I suggest you remove both, the default being "all" now. Also
> > check there is no "xwiki.store.hibernate.updateschema", the default is
> > good. Also check that you do not have any "xwiki.store.migration=0".
> > Finally, "xwiki.store.main.hint" should not be defined or be "hibernate",
> > and the same is true for "xwiki.store.versioning.hint",
> > "xwiki.store.recyclebin.hint" and "xwiki.store.migration.manager.hint".
> If
> > you do not find the issue, please send me your xwiki.cfg, and I will have
> > look at it.
> >
> > Finally, I should bring your attention to the fact that MSSQL is not
> > officially supported and that the migration has never been tested on that
> > DBMS. However, we have done our best so it is as database agnostic as
> > possible. It may simply work or not. Do not hesitate to share your
> > experience, I will do my best to help, but I cannot promise success.
> >
> > Regards,

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
eGuilde sarl - CTO