>> would I have a way to invoke velocity using the scope being run but without
>> the rendering?
>> I guess that would be the exact use case here and it is likely to be so for
>> other people; for example to generate xml documents, json documents...
>
> It is possible, but not with what's available out of the box. You would
> have to write a new action that is only responsible for invoking
> Velocity, connecting its output directly to the socket.

Really?
No, if I seize the response and outputstream from a velocity script in the
page, as mentioned earlier, I have all the necessary sockets and connection.
Now I'd like something such as "includeThisPagesVelocityCode" (which could be
loaded as string even) which would output right out into the stream.

paul