Hi,

My feedback below:

2013/4/8 Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <vali...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> We introduced the Activity Stream macro in XE 2.6
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Activity+Macro
>
> We are investigating ways to improve our Activity Stream, but in order to
> do that we would want to know your feedback about it (both from a
> technology and an user experience pov):
> - Is Activity Stream a macro you use?

It's just there, on my home page, but I never used the macro somewhere
else. I don't know exactly why, but I would say mainly because of
limitations (filtering...) and performance issues I had with it at some
time in the past, so I wasn't willing to put this macro everywhere.

> - What features you most miss about it? Maybe filtering? Maybe pagination?

I miss both. In my case, my mail archive app generates a large bunch of
pages (for topics and mails) that crowd the activity stream. Ideally, I
would like to:
- have a stream that would show only mail archive events. Could be all
pages events from mail archive user (as there's a dedicated user
creating/updating the pages), but may be even better to allow filtering on
... specific objects ? Would be the only way to differentiate a topic from
a mail in my case, allowing to show only topics, or only mails. I believe
that that may bring some performance issues though.
- have a stream that shows everything, except events from my mail archive
- have possibility to differentiate stream events depending on their "type"
(ie, show mails/topics events with a specific icon, different than the one
of standard pages).
- pagination seems less essential but would be very nice to have (if it
looks like the livetables pagination it would be even better). Talking
about that, livetable-style filtering would be nice to have (ie, enter a
keyword and have the stream filtered on it, based on name, author, ...).
- have possibility to remove an entry directly from the stream display. In
my case, when I change smtp password in xwiki prefs, the "see changes" of
related event shows both my old and new password in the diff view ... as
I'm not the only admin, it's a bit unsecure, so I'd like to remove that (my
example is more an issue on the diff view, I did not thoroughly check).
- have possibility to filter what streams get tracked, ie not only filter
the display (from the macro), but also prevent some events from being
tracked by activity stream. I must admit that maybe it's already possible,
I did not check.
- have some "purge" features and parameters available from xwiki admin, in
order to avoid having to perform them manually from db. For example, say
"keep only last 50 events for all pages" or "keep only last event for page
X.Y" or "keep only 1 event per day/month" etc..., and a purge job in
scheduler.

> - Would you like to see more event types, like events generated by
> applications?
> - Are you using the "Send Message" functionality?

I merely tested by sending a message to someone. It seems my message can
only be seen from his profile, so he never saw it. I think the feature
would be more interesting if new messages you received were displayed
clearly when you log in (through some popup for example, or in some area
near page content). Would be really nice to have it displayed in "real
time" (ie, I'm logged, someone sends me a message, it appears in my current
browser tab).