On Apr 8, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Jeremie BOUSQUET <jeremie.bousq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My feedback below:
>

> 2013/4/8 Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <vali...@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We introduced the Activity Stream macro in XE 2.6
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Activity+Macro
>>
>> We are investigating ways to improve our Activity Stream, but in order to
>> do that we would want to know your feedback about it (both from a
>> technology and an user experience pov):
>> - Is Activity Stream a macro you use?
>>
> It's just there, on my home page, but I never used the macro somewhere
> else. I don't know exactly why, but I would say mainly because of
> limitations (filtering...) and performance issues I had with it at some
> time in the past, so I wasn't willing to put this macro everywhere.
>
>> - What features you most miss about it? Maybe filtering? Maybe pagination?
>>
> I miss both. In my case, my mail archive app generates a large bunch of
> pages (for topics and mails) that crowd the activity stream. Ideally, I
> would like to:
> - have a stream that would show only mail archive events. Could be all
> pages events from mail archive user (as there's a dedicated user
> creating/updating the pages), but may be even better to allow filtering on
> ... specific objects ? Would be the only way to differentiate a topic from
> a mail in my case, allowing to show only topics, or only mails. I believe
> that that may bring some performance issues though.
> - have a stream that shows everything, except events from my mail archive
> - have possibility to differentiate stream events depending on their "type"
> (ie, show mails/topics events with a specific icon, different than the one
> of standard pages).
> - pagination seems less essential but would be very nice to have (if it
> looks like the livetables pagination it would be even better). Talking
> about that, livetable-style filtering would be nice to have (ie, enter a
> keyword and have the stream filtered on it, based on name, author, ...).
> - have possibility to remove an entry directly from the stream display. In
> my case, when I change smtp password in xwiki prefs, the "see changes" of
> related event shows both my old and new password in the diff view ... as
> I'm not the only admin, it's a bit unsecure, so I'd like to remove that (my
> example is more an issue on the diff view, I did not thoroughly check).
> - have possibility to filter what streams get tracked, ie not only filter
> the display (from the macro), but also prevent some events from being
> tracked by activity stream. I must admit that maybe it's already possible,
> I did not check.
> - have some "purge" features and parameters available from xwiki admin, in
> order to avoid having to perform them manually from db. For example, say
> "keep only last 50 events for all pages" or "keep only last event for page
> X.Y" or "keep only 1 event per day/month" etc..., and a purge job in
> [...]

This already exists :)

See xwiki.cfg, specifically:

#-# Number of days the events should be kept (0 or any negative value: infinite
duration)
#-# Note: if this value is greater than 0 a scheduler job will be created, this
job will then be fired every week to
#-# delete events older than the configured value.
#-# Default: 0
# xwiki.plugin.activitystream.daystokeepevents=0