On 05/29/2013 12:38 PM, Valdis Vītoliņš wrote:
> I'm just curious about brandname such as XWiki versus "generic" forename
> such as Xwiki.
>
> For example in languages I know (Latvian, English, Russian) any forename
> (given name for person or dog, city or ship name, etc.) starts with
> capital and then, if not all characters are capital, it follows with
> small letters.
>
> There are brandnames (mostly intentionally, to differ from "generic"
> name) this rule is not followed: XWiki, iOS, PiTiVi, etc.
>
> So, when I write about Xwiki:
>
> 1. I don't know it is spelled XWiki,
> 2. I'm too lazy to bother,
> 3. I intentionally spell it Xwiki, to not add disclaimer, that iOS or
> XWiki or ... is a registered trademark (if is),
> 4. something else...
>
> What do you think?
> Valdis

The official name has always been XWiki, never Xwiki. I've often seen
Xwiki and xWiki, though, mostly because of the first two reasons you
present, and also because most word processors auto-correct "two capital
letters", which in most cases is wrong. I'm not sure how many people
know how to undo that behavior.

Still, I never thought that it is a big enough issue to point it out to
people explicitly, hoping that they'll learn by example. However, I do
try to correct any wrong spelling in editable public place, like
wikipedia and the xwiki.org farm.
--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu