Hi Thomas.

Thank you for your quick answer.
I'm sure not a LDAP expert but I think it is right to say that LDAP TLS
(using StartTLS) and LDAP SSL offer quite the same security features, but
StartTLS is the successor of LDAP over SSL (LDAPS) and is now recommended.

My question concerns the client certificate: with a server demanding a
client certificate, when I use a simple client such as ldapsearch with
StartTLS, a file ldaprc or .ldaprc containing the directives TLS_CACERTDIR,
TLS_CERT and  TLS_KEY that give the path to the certs and the key is
required, but when the client is XWiki I did not find how to give XWiki this
info or where to place such a file.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Claude Lepère