You can enable the log you need in the Logging section of the
administration page
(bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?editor=globaladmin&section=Logging).

Set TRACE for the packages listed in
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Authentication#HEnableLDAPdebuglog
(I really need to update that page), no need to restart. Then you need
to know where your application server is writing the log. Once you
have the log it's usually very clear what is wrong exactly.