Hi Nicolas,

On 19 Mar 2015 at 15:38:02, Nicolas Delsaux
(nicolas.dels...@gmx.fr(mailto:nicolas.dels...@gmx.fr)) wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm in organization where we have 3 unsynchronized wikis, implemented
> using the software named in subject (ie JSPWiki/DokuWiki/mediawiki).
> I would like to merge their content in one unique wiki, obviously
> implemented using XWiki (due to the excellent interview Vincent Massol
> and Ludovic Dubost gave to the castcodeurs podcast).

Nice choice! :)

> I have seen there are extensions to have content of those legacy wiki
> imported into XWiki.
> However, i'm not sure I understand how they work.

I don’t know if you’ve seen this doc page which may provide a bit more
information:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/Imports#HImportingfromanotherwiki

> 1 - JSPWiki to XWiki
>
> There seems to be an old (?) extension at
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/JSPWiki+To+XWiki+Conversion,
> documented by Vincent Massol. From what I understand, the Java code in
> this extension has to be compiled independently, and run as a
> stand-alone program on the machine hosting the JSPWiki server. It will
> generate a XAR that can be injected into XWiki. Am I right ? If so, it
> is hardly an extension of XWiki, but rather a companion program (but I'm
> nitpicking). However, as a stand-alone program, isn't it available as an
> executable JAR somewhere ?

Yes, this is an old script written a long time ago (not by me, I just made it
available on that page ;)), before XWiki Rendering (see
http://rendering.xwiki.org) existed. I have no idea how well it works.

> 2 - Dokuwiki to XWiki
>
> This time, it's a valid XWiki extension :
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Import+DokuWiki+into+XWiki+Application
> which is easily installable using Extension manager (cool !). However, I
> wonder how it will work with XWiki 6.4.2 ...
>
> 3 - mediawiki to XWiki
>
> This time ... it seems like there is no extension. or is it ?

So to summarize, we’re lacking some nice migrators to migrate from all those
wikis to XWiki. We only have scripts maintained by the community.

Now we’ve put in place all the infrastructure for such a migrator. We call it
the Filters Application (a bad name IMO but it does more than just migrate
content from wiki to wikis, it accepts any input and any output). See
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter+Application

Right now this Filters app supports only a few input/outputs:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Filter+Module#HExistingmodules

Since there’s a confluence input module, it means you can give this Filter app
a confluence zip as input and as output you can put an XWiki instance and it’ll
import the content.

We’re lacking input modules for the wikis you mentioned above: JSPWiki,
Dokuwiki and MediaWiki.

So there are 4 solutions I can see at this stage:
* You import your content page by page (since XWiki can read natively the
formats of the wikis you mentioned)
* You use one of the extension scripts from
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Tags?do=viewTag&tag=migration
but I don’t know what result you’ll get (I’ve never used them myself but I
think the mediawiki ones are pretty good)
* You want to contribute/participate and we can guide you on how to write a
Filter module. If you wish to see the code for the confluence one, it’s here:
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-filter/xwiki-platform-filter-streams/xwiki-platform-filter-stream-confluencexml
* You want someone to do the work for you! Check the list of professional
services at
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Support#HProfessionalSupport

> bonus - xwiki-OLD to xwiki
>
> We also have some content in an old (5.0.1) version of XWiki. How do I
> migrate ?

That’s relatively easy :) You can export and reimport for example, see
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/ImportExport

> Conclusion - cheers
>
> I must confess I had never tried before XWiki, and my first impression
> is that it's a robust and perfectly usable wiki solution. The XWiki team
> did a really impressive work.

Thanks, I hope you’ll enjoy it!

-Vincent