I am always a bit uncertain which way is the best, too. However if you want to
close your content from anonymous users,
then you must go to the file system to make modifications to the style in any
case.

Maybe the following works for you:

  http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Skins

I see this recommends copying over all files from the base skin - I guess that
is necessary in some cases, especially when all the LESS to CSS compilation
takes place.

But if you only want to adapt e.g. the print.css, you can:
  - create directory /usr/lib/xwiki/skins/myskin
  - add a /usr/lib/xwiki/skins/myskin/skin.properties with 'parent=flamingo'
  - copy and adapt the  print.css from the "flamingo" dir into "myskin"
  - test the new skin via e.g.
http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome?skin=myskin
  - if this works, edit the "XWiki.DefaultSkin" to use "myskin" as base skin
instead of "flamingo"

That way you avoid patching the original skin from the distribution and
minimize duplicate file contents.

Clemens