We are not upgrading XWiki at all, we created a new server where XWiki runs
on. :-)

In short:
Our ICT created a new ubuntu server with TomCat7, Java7 and localhost MySQL
server.
They then put xwiki.war in the TomCat7 folder.
They made an SQL dump of the "old" XWiki and restored that on the new MySQL
server (and created an xwiki user with all priveleges to the xwiki
database).
They edited the Hibernate file so it refers to the new xwiki database.
They edited setenv.sh with the settings for the Java Heap Space.
They then opened/started XWiki and SKIPPED the upgrade (it's not an upgrade
but a new server).