Hi Frank,

[...]
>>> I have to admit that if it is not the proxy-settings then I am getting
>>> somewhat desperate about how to diagnose the problem.
>>> I guess one could try to get stack traces from the server while it is
>>> starting up
>>> and use the java option "-Djavax.net.debug=all" (dumps lots of stuff to the
>>> standard output) to see if it tries to open connections to
>>> extensions.xwiki.org
>>> but I guess all one can get from that is that the server opens connections
>>> and then it waits till timeout ...
>>
>> I've done this through setting the environment variable $JAVA_OPTS to
>> "-Djavax.net.debug=all" prior to running $tomcat_home/bin/catalina.sh.
>> Is that the right place?  I also set the following loggin levels in
>> $tomcat_home/conf/logging.properties:
>>
>> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST
>> 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = FINEST
>
> Also added
>
> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = ALL
> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = org.apache.juli.OneLineFormatter
> org.apache.http.level = FINEST
> org.apache.http.wire.level = SEVERE
>
> to $tomcat_home/conf/logging.properties (according to
> https://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/logging.html) but still not
> seeing the wire output.  where should I find it?

[...]

I thought one should set the -Djavax.net.debug in the CATALINA_OPTS ,  but I
see JAVA_OPTS is possible, too.
If these lots of "adding as trusted cert:" messages appear, then the option is
active indeed.

If you want to create more log messages from the xwiki-webapp, you can edit the
file webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/classes/logback.xml

Setting the root logger level there to "debug" will create tons of output ...
Maybe it is sufficient to enable some network related loggers, like:

  <logger name="org.apache.http" level="trace" />
  <logger name="org.eclipse.aether" level="trace" />

which will create tons of output either, but hopefully with somewhat higher
relevance density.

See also http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Logging

hope this helps
Clemens