> [...]
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.start(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:224)
> [...]
>> Caused by: class org.xwiki.extension.InstallException: Dependency
>> [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-oldcore-[7.4.1]] is not compatible with
>> core extension [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-legacy-oldcore-7.4.2] at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.checkCoreDependency(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:426)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtensionDependency(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:628)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:911)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtensionDependency(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:690)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtensionDependency(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:659)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:911)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:772)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:393)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:290)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.start(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:224)
>>  at
>> org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.InstallPlanJob.runInternal(InstallPlanJob.java:88)
>>  at org.xwiki.job.AbstractJob.runInContext(AbstractJob.java:205) at
>> org.xwiki.job.AbstractJob.run(AbstractJob.java:188) at
>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
>>  at
>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
>>  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
>>

> I could not get past this error so I finally decided to stop it and perform
> a complete rework of the upgrade process:
>
> 1) Deleted XWiki 7.4.2 webapp and database
> 2) Installed XWiki 7.4.1 webapp and complete database from backup
>   (yes, I made a backup before starting the upgrade! :-)
> 3) Checked v7.4.1 did actually run fine again (it did)
> 4) Started a fresh WAR-upgrade to v7.4.2
>
> This time everything worked fine: correct version, distribution wizard started
> and did the upgrade (I skipped a few pages which I had changed previously)
>
> Now it looks like I have a running XWiki v7.4.2.
>
> That shows how important a backup before upgrade can be, even for a minor

Thanks for posting back. Indeed a backup should always be done. However, a
bugfix upgrade like the one you did should be seamless normally. I’m not sure
what happened but it looks like some operator mistake from what you say. In any
case, if you see anything we could do at the XWiki level to help, let us know.