vmassol wrote
> The office macro states that you can use a URL or an attachment, so I
> guess you could use  a file://// URL (make sure to use only forward
> slashes).

I tried file://// (four slashes?) as well as file:/// and file:// but non
seem to work.
E.g. {{office
reference="URL:file://serverhostname/folder/folder/MyFile.xlsx"
filterStyles="false"/}}
This link works when pasted to windows Explorer (on the xwiki server)

Also tried with the "URL": {{office
reference="file://serverhostname/folder/folder/MyFile.xlsx"
filterStyles="false"/}}

The macro exception stack (see http://pastebin.com/Q9vwCYhe ) using
URL:file:// clearly states that it is looking for an attachment as opposed
to a file link.
(Attachment [Attachment
ax:Sandbox.WebHome@URL:file://serverhostname/folder/folder/MyFile.xlsx] does
not exist.). The same goes for file://

Any ideas? I could still try some of the other windows file uri Schemas as
shown in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme

Thank you.