Hi and thanks for the reply.

For someone like myself who is very inexperienced with configuring java and
tomcat, it'd have been useful if there was a statement on the tomcat setup
page here something like this:

"Make sure you give enough memory to Java. The default memory settings for
tomcat are too low to install or run xwiki without issues. Recommended
settings are min 512 and max 1024"

or something of that order.

"Make sure you give enough memory to Java” was noteworthy, I wondered about
it, but it didn't clue me in to the fact that out of the box tomcat defaults
to way too low.