From: users <users-boun...@xwiki.org> on behalf of Marius Dumitru Florea
<mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com>
Sent: 07 March 2017 09:48
To: XWiki Users
Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> See http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12937 and the comments. The menu

[XWIKI-12937] Impossible to copy a page if the user has no ...
jira.xwiki.org
XWiki Platform; XWIKI-12937; Impossible to copy a page if the user has no edit
right at the wiki or space level

> checks only if the current user has view right on the current page because
> we cannot know where the user will copy the page. The user may have edit
> right on some specific place in the page hierarchy and iterating all the
> page hierarchy to see if such a place exists is very costly.
>

> Checking for real-only is super fast though so I agree we should do that:
> show the copy action if the current user has view right on the current page
> and the wiki is not in read-only mode.

I think I made a confusion. I was thinking about the wiki's read-only mode,
which bypasses access rights, and which can be used to hide the copy
action. If you're referring to users and groups that don't have edit right
at wiki level then, as I said in my first part of the reply, we can't do
much about it because rights at page level overwrite those a wiki level so
even if you deny edit right for a user at wiki level he may still have edit
right on some page deep inside the page hierarchy, thus he needs to be able
to copy a page there.