Dear Duncan and All,
I suspect that the power rating of the super-trolley was supplied by the
trolley's owners (from The USA) and the innumerate reporter was unable to
change it into metric or SI units. On the other hand they were able to
convert 14 feet into 4.2 m.
All, and I repeat all, reports that I have seen describing any kind of motor
vehicle have reported the power rating in kilowatts. This is true both for
motoring magazines and for daily newspapers. I am also aware of some
petrolheads going to considerable trouble to convert these values into some
kind of 'cheval vapeur', presumably so that they can make comparisons with
past jalopies.
BTW Does anyone know the origin of the word, jalopy. I have tried all of my
dictionaries to no avail.
Cheers,
Pat Naughtin CAMS
Geelong, Australia
on 2001-03-04 11.10, Duncan Bath at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Globe & Mail A10, Mar 02:
>
> "A tall order"
>
> The "Super Trolley" is, quite correctly reported as being 4.2 metres tall.
> HOWEVER, when it came to reporting the power capability, the result was
> "1,000 horsepower".
>
> In disjointed units, power is quantified in horsepower, Btu/hr and in kW.
> The latter, kW, is the only unit which should be used. It permits
> comparisons of power no matter what the situation. Furthermore, it is
> doubtful if horsepower were to be used, at this time, in Australia.
> Duncan
>