  From: John M. Steele
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 11:02 PM
  Subject: [USMA:46251] Re: Simple Metric web site.

        I believe the CGPM just copies it.  It actually originates in the US,
ICAO, and ISO Standard atmospheres, which define that sea level pressure,
temperature (15 °C) and temperature lapse rate. (The lapse rate changes in
various segments above 11 km).  This leads to the assumptions used in
calibration of aircraft altimeters, which really measure pressure but indicate
altitude.

        The US defines a standard atmosphere to 1000 km, ICAO and ISO agree at
lower altitudes, but end at a lower altitude as no commercial aircraft flies at
1000 km.