From: John M. Steele [mailto:jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: 09 October 2011 11:47
To: U.S. Metric Association; vliets...@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: [USMA:51206] RE: Damned Decimals?

Martin,

The glucose units are actually mmol/L (millimoles per liter).  The US uses
mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter) and the numbers are 18 X higher (molar mass
of glucose divided by 10).

The alternate symbol L for liter is approved and part of the SI.  It is
preferred in the US, perhaps the UK should "prefer" it too and require it in
the health field.  Although I question whether it is really clearer, the US
medical profession uses mcg rather than µg for microgram.

For numbers less than unity, a leading zero must be REQUIRED before the
decimal.  Certainly an alternate prefix can be considered.  For sub 1 mL
doses, should microliters be used?  It is true that some fonts have a very
small period/decimal.  Should a "heavier" decimal point be defined (and a
slightly greater width in proportional fonts)?