From: Paul Trusten <trus...@grandecom.net>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Wed, January 9, 2013 1:33:21 PM
Subject: [USMA:52129] U.S. and UK metrication

Dear Mr. Percy,

Thank you very much for your quick reply to my letter and especially for
addressing the concerns of a foreigner.  In the U.S., members of the House of
Representatives and the Senate rightly refuse to receive email from anyone but
one of their respective constituents, so I am honored by your expenditure of
valuable time.  Yet, I can also see by your second email that I have pressed
one
of your hot buttons. I assure you it is also a hot button of mine, and has been
for 38 years.

I also apologize for my bumbling email-ery. I had wanted to finish my letter to
you, but if you keep reading my original message, you'll see it is incomplete.

On that last point I surely agree, except to say that there is confusion enough
on UK measurements without any change in education. On my visit to Edinburgh in
2009, I had to ask what the speed limit signs meant. They looked just like the
ones in Germany: red circle around a number. I learned by asking that they
meant
miles per hour. Perhaps it is time for the UK to change fully to the metric
system, roads included. My proposal is to finish what was started. Partial
metrication is not metrication. True metrication is what was done in Australia:
everything metric, right down to the grams of steak in restaurants and the
frame
of reference in warning signs ("no smoking within 5 meters").  I, above all
people, do not want to promote confusion in matters of measurement.  But
metrication cannot succeed without teaching only ONE system. I am told that
metrication was the goal of your government's actions in 1965, and, as is the
case in the U.S., where an abortive attempt was made to change to metric in the
1970s, our countries still have work to do, as neither a man nor a country is
an
island any more.

Why this obsession with keeping the measurement of only beer in imperial
measurement? Is milk in imperial?  I shopped in Edinburgh, and and found
consumer products generally to be metric.  How can a nation exist with the
public emphasis on metric in some areas and a different emphasis in others?
Is
there a particular romance in being nonstandard?

I don't know if you have this problem in the UK, but here in the U.S., the
cultural prevalence of two systems of measurement, contrary to what you wrote
in
your article, surely does us harm.  The healthcare system continues to condone
the use of teaspoonfuls and tablespoonfuls in medication orders.  Our Institute
for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP, www.ismp.org ) informs me that there have
been, I believe, about 50 reports of unit mixups that have resulted in harm.
One teaspoonful is approximately 5 milliliters, so if the units are confused,
the result can be a fivefold overdose. At this very moment, I am involved in
working with U.S. authorities to eliminate non-metric units in that part of
healthcare in which I am involved.

I want to thank you very much for the opportunity for this dialogue, and I know
it must be a pain to have your Blackberry get you angry, but I have my iPhone
doing it all the time (grin). I hope to continue this conversation.

As I failed to identify myself before, I shall now say that I am,

SIncerely,

Paul R. Trusten
Registered Pharmacist
Vice President and Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
www.metric.org
trus...@grandecom.net
+1(432)528-7724