I wonder if Discovery has a guideline or standard practice for shows they buy
or produce with regard to units of measure.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
c...@traditio.com
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 2:48 PM
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:52705] Why the Inconsistency?

The Science Channel, which is a part of the Discovery complex, ran a "How It's
Made Program" last night.  From the credits at the end, at least this episode
was produced in Canada.  I was curious to see how it would run in the United
States.

The program, in the segment on the mining of silver ore, always used kilograms
instead of pounds.  There was a close-up of a scale, which displayed a reading
in "mg".  But a distance was given in inches.

These persistent inconsistences (as Canada certainly uses millimetres or
centimetres) are quite perplexing.  I could understand an all-metric program or
an all non-metric program, dumbed down for the United States.
Another program, on astronomy, talked about astronomical distances in miles
(where it hardly mattered for the common perception), but shorter distances
(such as for the size of a meteor) in metres.

It has always perplexed me why these programs are so inconsisent.  In a curious
way, it confirms my approach that the United States is *not* a non-metric
country.  It is a country stuck in the middle of conversion, not unlike England
and even Canada.

Martin Morrison
Training and SI Columnist, "Metric Today"