I agree with "kPa" that "we need to forget pounds exist...";  "we" being the
entire USA!!!

While that end-objective remains (continues in progress) , we observe that the
numerical exercise of f = m a, for lbm and lbf clearly demonstrates the
unambiguous superiority of SI.

However, the reality is, with regrets, that pounds-mass (lbm) are firmly
entrenched in US Commerce and they are not easily discarded (i.e. replaced by
grams and kilograms), even in some offices within NIST; and pounds-force are
not easily discarded even in some activities of NASA or by some NASA
contractors (e.g. by Lockheed-Martin and by the Boeing Company), even when and
where earth-gravity is irrelevant , nor easily discarded in contracts financed
by the US Department of Transportation, as the recent history of highway
construction proves!

John Steele deserves commendation for his thorough analysis (below) of the
numerical exercise of f = m a.

On my own cell-phone calculator, I get the product (of lbm and 9.80666) as
equal to 4.448221615 with loss of the remaining digits (2605).  On my TI-30XA
calculator I get the same product, with loss of the remainder, (2605).
I do not yet know if double-precision software is installed in my MacMini
computer (at the next level up).

At the University of Illinois, I often used double-precision arithmetic, but
the precision of "arbitrary accuracy" that John mentions was unknown to me.

Although it is true that the level of accuracy of the proposed new definition
of the kilogram does not even reach an accuracy of 14 significant digits, this
study of high-precision calculations does have value in promoting SI!

Eugene Mechtly