John,

I don't understand your second paragraph. I never advocated "inventing" or even
using any "gravitational" units; not the pound-force (lbf), and certainly not
the kilogram or ton (t) defined as 1000 kg, and treated as a unit of force.

And as to rocket engineering, I have in hand a copy of Von Braun's "Das
Marsprojekt" (published in 1952).
On Page 10, he begins a list of numerical parameters (for each of the three
propulsion stages.  Some excerpts,
for the first stage are:

Schub (thrust) "12 800 t"
Treibstoffgewicht (propellant weight) "4 800 t"
Treibstoffverbrauch (rate of propellant use) "55,81 t/sec"
Duesenenddruck (pressure at end of nozzle) "0,7 kg/cm^2"

As you can see, these are an abuse of units of mass (kg and t), and an
atrocious mix of mass and force ? (also t) units in a "gravitational"
non-system of units, non-system by 1960 SI Standards of coherence, but that was
1952.
Just as the pound can not coherently be both mass and force at the same time in
f = m a; neither can the kg and t.

To the credit of Von Braun and his immigrant engineers from Germany, they
quickly endorsed SI shortly after 1960 when they became aware of the
"definition" of SI by the CGPM.

Eugene Mechtly