This proposed response petition is, unfortunately, a non-starter. We will not get anywhere by "demanding" things, particularly of the President personally. The original response was indeed pretty weak, but becoming belligerent about the metric issue will not get us very far.

As an aside, at times one has to admire China, which is an authoritarian and oppressive state, but they do get things done when the time is deemed ripe. All it takes is an edict (lots of them are bad, of course). Over here, we diddle around about volunteerism for decades on end.

HARRY WYETH