Parker, yours is an excellent suggestion! However, the name would still understate the importance of the technology -- a system of "weights and measures." For many people, that means the number that pops up on the bathroom scale in the morning and the distance to work. How about:

Decimal System of Physical Measurements (DS)

That would better encompass the myriad measurements that can be expressed in SI - now DS.

John Dunlop