Greetings EJ,

So, from the tutorial, they have you edit the gain.xml file, and this is
what I have for it.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--Default XML file-->
<nocblock>
  <name>gain</name>
  <blockname>gain</blockname>
  <ids>
    <id revision="0">B7DD64941A952AAC</id>
  </ids>
  <!-- Registers -->
  <registers>
    <setreg>
      <name>Gain</name>
      <address>128</address>
    </setreg>
  </registers>
  <!-- Args -->
  <args>
    <args>
      <name>gain</name>
      <type>double</type>
      <value>1.0</value>
      <check>GE($gain, 0.0) AND LE($gain, 32767.0)</check>
      <check_message>Invalid Gain!</check_message>
      <action>
        SR_WRITE("GAIN", IROUND($gain))
      </action>
    </args>
  </args>
  <!--One input, one output. If this is used, better have all the info the
C++ file.-->
  <ports>
    <sink>
      <name>in0</name>
      <type>sc16</name>
    </sink>
    <source>
      <name>out0</name>
      <type>sc16</name>
    </source>
  </ports>
</nocblock>

There is an args value and it is declared as gain.

So from there, I followed your second suggestion and tried to find where it
was installed when I did the cross compile. It was not placed in the
"GRC_BLOCKS_PATH" of "/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks" like the default RFNoC
blocks. It was instead placed in "/share/uhd/rfnoc/bocks" so I added that
to the setup.env file, included below.

LOCALPREFIX=~/newinstall/usr
export PATH=$LOCALPREFIX/bin:$PATH
export LD_LOAD_LIBRARY=$LOCALPREFIX/lib:$LD_LOAD_LIBRARY
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LOCALPREFIX/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PYTHONPATH=$LOCALPREFIX/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$LOCALPREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export
GRC_BLOCKS_PATH=$LOCALPREFIX/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks:$GRC_BLOCKS_PATH
export UHD_RFNOC_DIR=$LOCALPREFIX/share/uhd/rfnoc/
export UHD_IMAGES_DIR=$LOCALPREFIX/share/uhd/images
export GRC_BLOCKS_PATH=$LOCALPREFIX/share/uhd/rfnoc/blocks:$GRC_BLOCKS_PATH

Unfortunately, after re-sourcing the setup.env, I still get the same
message.

  File "rfnoc_myGain_usrp.py", line 223, in <module>
    main()
  File "rfnoc_myGain_usrp.py", line 212, in main
    tb = top_block_cls(fpga_path=options.fpga_path,
rx_gain=options.rx_gain, rx_digital_gain=options.rx_digital_gain,
rx_freq=options.rx_freq, host_ip_addr=options.host_ip_addr)
  File "rfnoc_myGain_usrp.py", line 117, in __init__
    self.tutorial_gain_0.set_arg("gain", rx_digital_gain)
  File
"/home/root/newinstall/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tutorial/tutorial_swig.py",
line 315, in set_arg
    return _tutorial_swig.gain_sptr_set_arg(self, *args)
RuntimeError: LookupError: Path not found in tree:
/mboards/0/xbar/gain_0/args/0/gain/value

I looked at some of your examples (which have been very helpful to get me
this far) from what I believe is your github someone linked me. Everything
appears to match what it should, for what gain is trying to accomplish.

Regards,
Jon