Jim Fenton <fen...@bluepopcorn.net> wrote:

> I would expect subjectAltName to have the same constraints as DNS
> entries have, which only allow wildcards for full labels, so I support
> only allowing *.apps.example.com.

Well, it's more complicated than that, because it isn't feasible to get
certificate wildcards to have the same semantics as DNS wildcards.

My understanding is that PKIX wildcard matching originally used glob(3),
(with . as the separator instead of /) which is both more relaxed and more
restricted than DNS wildcards.

It's more relaxed because glob() allows wildcards to appear anywhere. For
PKIX, the allowed position of wildcards has been gradually restricted over
time. This discussion is about restricting wildcards to just "*." at the
start of the name, like DNS wildcards.

The complication comes from how matching is done, which is more restricted
in PKIX than in the DNS. In the DNS, a wildcard matches any number of
labels at the start of the name. In glob() and in PKIX, the wildcard can
only match one label.

I don't think it is feasible or desirable to make PKIX wildcards match
multiple labels like DNS wildcards do.

So any description of wildcards should (still) emphasize that even though
PKIX and DNS wildcards (now) have the same syntax, they still don't have
the same semantics.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Mainly northerly 5 to 7, but easterly or northeasterly 6 to