On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 3:03 PM Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:

> My understanding is that PKIX wildcard matching originally used glob(3),
> (with . as the separator instead of /) which is both more relaxed and more
> restricted than DNS wildcards.

I'm not aware of any implementations with that semantics. At the time of
RFC 2818, the primary implementations (Netscape and Microsoft) had slightly
different implementations, and SSLeay did not provide any form of name
matching. Netscape's implementation used their regular expression engine
rather than glob(3), which... was spectacularly unfortunate [1]. Microsoft,
and later, Apple (both since fixed), used equivalents of strchr() to
implement wildcard matching.

I realize this is mostly pedantry, but trying to make sure this useful
knowledge is archived somewhere, and because it does affect some of the
conclusions re: comparisons to DNS semantics :)

[1] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2009-43/

> So any description of wildcards should (still) emphasize that even though
> PKIX and DNS wildcards (now) have the same syntax, they still don't have
> the same semantics.

Are you suggesting that it should continue to emphasize that it only
matches a single domain label, or a more explicit comparison to the DNS
semantics? If the latter, are you thinking by incorporating and referencing
RFC 4592 [2]? Is there text to propose, given that RFC 4592 largely monkey
patches RFC 1034, rather than reads as an algorithm to itself?

[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4592#section-2.1.1