Roland McGrath <roland <at> redhat.com> writes:

> Hi, Ananth.  Sorry everything has slid so long (again).
> (I have far too many hats and the past month not so many brains!)
>
> Here is my immediate agenda for utrace hacking:
>
> * I have incorporated the "embed struct utrace" changes.
>
>   I did various small bits of reorganization and cosmetic cleanup
>   first to make the actual data structure change a smaller patch.
>   Since things had changed around, I didn't actually use your patch.
>   I just did it over myself, but I think it's nearly the same.
>
>   After this change, we now need some fresh testing of things like Frank's
>   ftrace widget and stap's utrace-using modes.  (Nothing should have
>   changed from the utrace API perspective.)
>
>   I've created the new branch "utrace-indirect" with a revert of the
>   change.  I think this is really the better way to organize the data
>   structures, as I've mentioned before.  After we get an initial utrace
>   merged in upstream, I intend to revive this branch and turn it into an
>   incremental patch to (re-)improve the data structures later on.  That's
>   for later; for the time being, the branch will just sit idle.
>
> * I've renamed "struct utrace_attached_engine" to "struct utrace_engine".
>   This was a cosmetic suggestion in an earlier LKML review, and I could not
>   really find any good reason to keep the longer name.  We all seem to say
>   "a utrace engine" in conversation when talking about this object.
>
>   I added the UTRACE_API_VERSION macro to ease existing utrace-using code
>   adapting to old/new names.
>
> * I'll shortly scour the old review comments for more cosmetic things we
>   might change.
>
> * I would like to have a final "in-team" top-to-bottom review of the main
>   utrace patch before sending to LKML.  i.e. maybe by you, Frank, me, and
> Oleg.
>   Each pair of eyeballs should:
>   * make sure all barriers and other kinds of magic have adequate comments
>     explaining why they are there and why they are correct
>   * cite anything else that sticks out and maybe needs more comments
>   * make sure all comments are accurate and understandable

hi,

i've been looking at the patch at the utrace.patch at:

http://people.redhat.com/roland/utrace/2.6-current/

hopefully, that's the latest one.

Anyways, i'm still looking it over, but one thing that sticks out for me along
these lines are the memory barriers and usage of utrace->reporting. It seems
that this field is being used exclude utrace_control when we are in the middle
of a callback. however, there aren't any comments about the memory barriers and
logic here, so its hard for me to tell if its correct...

thanks,

-Jason