I have an update.  I uninstalled Vagrant and VirtualBox and did a clean
install of both. I am not encountering this issue anymore.  The previous
error was most likely caused by the user not suspending or halting the box
(or previous boxes) before shut down.  So we can consider this resolved for
now.  Thanks for your help.  In the least, it showed me how to use the
command line in VirtualBox.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/42c832ab-205d-4184-9746-18389ac33e5c%40googlegroups.com.